In this age of technology, as an administrator, it is just as imperative for you to be connected to the Internet and technology as it is for your faculty, staff and students.
Below is a list some examples of the ways administrators can stay connected and network on the web. These websites are also great resources that may serve both the novice administrator to the seasoned administrator in today’s schools to help stay connected. In addition, I have highlighted some great tools that you might like to see your teachers use in the 2008-2009 school year.
- Colonial Intermediate Unit 20 http://www.ciu20.org/resources/offsite/websitesforadmin.php This is a list of must know resources for school administrators. Colonial IU 20 is one of 29 intermediate units throughout Pennsylvania, which were created in 1971 to provide services to school districts in ways that create economies of scale, cost savings, and better efficiencies in the delivery of important programs and services to children, especially those with special needs. They also play an important role in providing substantial support services to the administrators and teachers in the 13 school districts that comprise IU 20. This website boasts 68 essential links that every administrator should be familiar with.
- Administrator Internet Briefcase http://www.vickiblackwell.com/administrators/default.htm It is a well developed page that hosts a variety of essential resources at any administrator’s fingertips.Louisiana LEADS Project - This site offers categories with web resources in curriculum, data driven decision making, finance, general, professional development, productivity, professional organizations, professional reading, professional Organizations, etc.
- Educator’s World: Administrator’s Desk http://www.education-world.com/a_admin/index.shtml This is a great resource page from Educator’s World. This is the School Administrator’s channel. It offers resources from helping your teachers to get better classroom management school, improving cafeteria behavior, first day of school tips, to grant of the week highlight.
- Administrators.Net http://administrators.net/ This is a division of Teachers.net. It offers resources for Administrators, such as administrative job postings, chat, administrator discussion boards, etc.
- Administrators Online Assistance Resources http://www.sabine.k12.la.us/vrschool/admin.htm This webpage is a wealth of resources for any administrator. Subtitled: News for Administrators, it reads like a RSS feed for hot educational topics from all major educational publications.
- An Educator’s Guide to Evaluating the Use of Technology in the Classroom - http://www.ed.gov/pubs/EdTechGuide/index.html This guide was developed for the U.S. Department of Education by the American Institutes for Research in conjunction with its formative evaluation of the Technology Literacy Challenge Fund. The guide represents a joint effort among the Office of Educational Research and Improvement, the Office of Educational Technology, and the Office of Elementary and Secondary Education. The guide should be viewed as a tool for individuals who have little or no formal training in research or evaluation. Its intended informal style and accompanying worksheets provide the basic principles of evaluation and are designed to help district and school personnel gain an overview of and ideas for evaluating local technology initiatives. The guide is not meant to be the key to conducting a perfect evaluation. There is no such thing as a perfect program and no such thing as a perfect evaluation. Rather, the goal of this handbook is to provide educators a resource with which to jump into the evaluation process, learning as they go.
- New York State Resources for School Administrators http://usny.nysed.gov/schooladmin/ As a New Yorker and New York Educator, how could I not list this site? This is a great site for all NYS administrators to know about and use that links to a variety of necessary must know websites and tools.
- NEA Professional Library http://www.nea.org/administrators/resources-administrators.html Another great resource, the NEA, for administrative links.
- The Principals Office - http://www.ibiblio.org/cisco/schoolhouse/office/ Great online resources for the school administrator.
- Florida Leaders.Net http://www.floridaleaders.net/resources.php?title=56 and http://www.floridaleaders.net/resources8.php?title=63 Wow, what a great resource. This website boasts a variety of Host Links for Administrators in the area of curriculum , grant, educational resources and much, much more.
- Websites Correlated to ISTE Nets http://www.icsrc.org/VITAL/principalweb.html Great site that breaks webpages down into a chart for resources. This chart can also be taken and adapted to the individual district needs as well. Also great example to include in a district technology/curriculum plan.
- Starting Points for Administrators - http://eduscapes.com/tap/topic79.htm
- Cyber Safety Links for School Admin - http://www.ctap4.org/cybersafety/admin_resources.htm
- Teachnology Administrative Resources - http://www.teach-nology.com/edleadership/
- Scholastic Administrative Page - http://www.scholastic.com/administrator/
- Principal Professional Development - http://www.middleweb.com/ContntsPrin.html
- Info Tree for Educational Administration - http://infotree.library.ohiou.edu/bysubject/education/educational-administration/
20 Great (FREE) WEB 2.0 Resources for the Classroom:
1. Twiddla - http://www.twiddla.com/ A web-based meeting playground.
2. Space Time - http://spacetime.com/ A search engine in 3d for visual thinkers.
3. Bookgoo http://bookgoo.com/ Highlight and share documents
4. Cha Cha - https://www.chacha.com/ Getting the Answers
5. Blabberize - http://blabberize.com/ Making photos speak
6. Evernote - http://www.evernote.com/ Note-taking tool
7. Glogster - http://www.glogster.com/ Poster Creation
8. Jog The Web http://www.jogtheweb.com/ Web Tour Application
9. All My Faves Web 2.0 - http://allmyfaves.com/ Popular Weekly Web 2.0 Applications in many categories.
10. Tiddywiki http://www.tiddlywiki.com/ Personal Notebook
11. WriteBoard http://writeboard.com/ Collaborative Writing Tool
12. Wordle - http://wordle.net/ Word Clouds writing tool
13. YacaPaca - http://yacapaca.com/ Classroom Tools
14. Kerpoof - http://www.kerpoof.com/ Digital Storytelling
15. Jott - http://jott.com/ Organizational tool
16. AndreaMosaic - http://www.andreaplanet.com/andreamosaic/ Mosaic Maker
17. Widgetop - http://www.widgetop.com/unsupported.html Digital Desktop
18. Zoho - http://zoho.com/ Online office applications
19. Del.icio.us http://del.icio.us/ Social Bookmarking
20. Quizlet - http://quizlet.com/ Online Flashcards
The Obvious Website for Administrators (Review):
http://www.aasa.org/ American Association of School Administrators
http://netc.org/cdrom/ NorthWest Educational Technology Consortium
http://www.edweek.org/ew/index.html - Education Week
http://nsdc.org/ - National Staff Development Council
http://www.nsba.org/site/index.asp National School Boards Association
http://www.ccsso.org/ - Council of Chief School Officials
http://www.ascd.org/portal/site/ascd/index.jsp/ Association for Supervision and Curriculum Development
http://www.naesp.org/ - National Association of Elementary School Principals
http://www.nassp.org/s_nassp/index.asp?CID=1138&DID=54609 National Association of Secondary School Principals
http://www.asfsa.org/ School Food Service Association
http://www.banx.com/ BankQuotes for the Business Officials
http://www.ed.gov/admins/lead/safety/schoolsafety/index.html US Department of Ed – School Safety Resources
http://www.ed.gov/admins/landing.jhtml US Department of Ed - Administrator Resources
http://www.teach-nology.com/edleadership/ Teach-nology Administrative Section
http://eric.uoregon.edu/ Clearing House on Educational Policy and Management
http://www.nbpts.org/ National Board for Professional Teaching Standards
http://www.nctp.com/ - National Center for Technology Planning
http://www.teachersfirst.com/emerg.htm - Planning for EmergenciesWhat to Read
News, Journals and Blogs – Suggested Reading for the School Administrator
School Administrator News - http://www.schooladministrator.net/
District Administrator - http://www.districtadministration.com/viewarticle.aspx?articleid=1107&pf=1
Eschool News Online - http://www.eschoolnews.com/
Public Agenda Online – Education - http://www.publicagenda.org/issues/frontdoor.cfm?issue_type=education
EdLINC - http://www.edlinc.org/
School Board News - http://www.nsba.org/site/page_sbn_issue.asp?TRACKID=&CID=682&DID=9461
Electronic School - http://www.electronic-school.com/
Phi Delta Kappan - selected articles - http://www.kiva.net/~pdkintl/kappan/kappan.htm
School CIO - http://www.schoolcio.com/
COSN - http://www.cosn.org/
American School Board Journal - http://www.asbj.com/
Current Issues in Education - http://cie.asu.edu/
Education Policy Analysis Archives - http://epaa.asu.edu/epaa/
American Journal of Education - http://www.journals.uchicago.edu/AJE/
Smart Briefs - http://www.journals.uchicago.edu/AJE/
Buildilding Engaged Schools - http://www.buildingengagedschools.com/content/?ci=24751
Grazing for Digital Natives - http://jdorman.wikispaces.com/+Blogs
Library of Congress Blog - http://www.loc.gov/blog/
Leader Talk - http://www.leadertalk.org/
Web 2.0 and School Administrators http://sjbrooks-young.com/blog/ - Susan Brooks- Young Blog
TechLearning Blog, http://www.techlearning.com/blog/2007/07/is_it_time_to_add_sl_to_your_p.php
The Teach Teachers - http://thetechteachers.blogspot.com/
LightHouse Learning Blog - http://nausetschools.org/lighthouselearning/2007/08/teen-grid-ideas-for-content-areas.html This site is a blog from Kathy Schrock Suggesting ways to teach in SL.
TED Blog - http://blog.ted.com/2007/08/100_websites_yo.php
November Learning Communities - http://nlcommunities.com/podcasts/default.aspx
CoolCatTeacher Blog - http://coolcatteacher.blogspot.com/
2Cents Worth - http://davidwarlick.com/2cents/ Warlick’s blog
CodDogBlog - http://cogdogblog.com/ Levine’s blog
Jane’s EPick of the Day - http://janeknight.typepad.com/pick/
Weblogg-ed - http://weblogg-ed.com/ Richardson’s Blog
Speed of Creativity - http://www.speedofcreativity.org/ Fryer’s Blog
Ed Tech Talk Podcasts - http://edtechtalk.com/
And finally, Professional Development 2.0 Blog with yours truly at – http://www.karenbrooksucboces.blogspot.com/
Suggested Resources to read and obtain:
Slowinsk, J. (2000). Becoming a Technology Savvy Administrator, ERIC. Retrieved August 15, 2007 from http://eric.uoregon.edu/publications/digests/digest135.html
Virtual School Resources (It is not just High School):
AccelerateU K-12 Online Education, http://accelerateu.org/index.cfm?isFlashCapable=yes
Arkansas Virtual High School, http://arkansashigh.k12.ar.us/
Basehor-Linwood Virtual Charter School, vcs.usd458.k12.ks.usClintondale Virtual High School, http://http://www.clintondalevhs.org/eLearners.com, http://www.elearners.com/resources/k12-online.asp
Evergreen Internet Academy, http://http://www.egreen.wednet.edu/
Florida Virtual Schools - http://www.flvs.net/
Georgia Virtual Schools, http://www.gavirtualschool.org/Hop-On! http://www.hopkins.k12.mn.us/pages/HopOn/HopOnHome.htmlIllinois Virtual High School, http://ivhs.org/index.learn?bhcp=1
Internet Academy, Federal Way http://http://www.iacademy.org/
Kentucky Virtual School, http://www.kvhs.org/
Louisiana Virtual School, http://lvsportal.doe.state.la.us/
Maryland Virtual High School of Science and Mathematics, http://mvhs1.mbhs.edu/
Michigan Virtual High School, http://www.mivhs.com/
Minnesota Online High School, http://www.mnohs.org/
Nevada Virtual High School, http://www.nvhs.org/North Dakota Division of Independent Study, http://www.dis.dpi.state.nd.us/
North American Council for Online Learning, http://www.nacol.org/events/vss/
Texas Virtual Schools, http://www.texasvirtualschool.org/
Utah Electronic High School, http://www.ehs.uen.org/?bbatt=YVirginia Virtual Advanced Placement School, http://www.pen.k12.va.us/VDOE/Technology/VAPS.htmlVirtual High School, http://www.govhs.org/website.nsf
West Virginia Virtual School, http://virtualschool.k12.wv.us/vschool/
Wisconsin Virtual School, http://www.wisconsinvirtualschool.org/
Data, Statistics, Research, and Education Information
Below is a just a short list of the many discussed:
School Law.com - http://www.schoollaw.com/
Child Stats.gov - http://www.childstats.gov/
Fed Stats - http://www.fedstats.gov/
Proximity Census 2000 School District Data http://proximityone.com/sddmi.htm
US Census Bureau - http://www.census.gov/
The Future of Children - http://www.futureofchildren.org/
RAND - http://www.rand.org/research_areas/education/
MiddleWeb - http://www.middleweb.com/index.html
SISA - http://home.clara.net/sisa/index.htm
ManyEyes - http://services.alphaworks.ibm.com/manyeyes/home
Tinkerplots - http://www.keypress.com/x5715.xml
InspireData - http://www.inspiration.com/productinfo/inspiredata/index.cfm