It is the start of the 2007-2008 Academic School Year. Are you trying to decide what your professional goals will be this year? Are you trying to incorporate more technology into your classroom, but do not know where to start? Are you just learning about technology and need a place to start, refresh and explore this wonderful instructional tool? Or, do you just have a love for instructional technology and blogs on this subject?
Well, if you answered, "Yes" to any of these questions, then you have come to the right blog!
I decided to explore some school webpages and other educational websites along with topics that promote 21st Century Learning. Please join me in the followingeducational web tour designed to promote the use of techology in your instructional practice this up and comming school year.
Our first stop on this journey is going to be http://t4.jordan.k12.ut.us/t4/content/view/221/35/. This website is FANTASTIC! It is from the T4 Jordan Schoo District, Utah, USA. They have really embraced the "Transforming learning concept through technology." This website is a definate must bookmark. Here is just a sampling of this websites offering:
How Can I Become A Better Teacher?
Teach Me More About...
Okay if the above does not have you hooked yet on this site, then how about this. Darren Draper, author, designer and creator of Pay Attention works for this school district and created many of its pages.
- A Revision of Bloom's Taxonomy
- Using Google in the Classroom - Google Tools Podcast, Google Docs Podcast, Internet Survival Tools
- Rigor, Relevance, and Relationships
- Blogs (Social Software in the Classroom)
- Podcasts - Podcast Creation Guide (Apple), How to podcast
- Geocaching Games
- Google Earth
- Virtual Manipulatives
- Cellphones in the Classroom
- iPods in the Classroom
- Many things technology - For tips, tricks, and educational technlology know-how, don't miss any of the T4 Tips podcasts.
Please check out http://t4.jordan.k12.ut.us/t4/content/view/221/35/, the district webpage for copyright educational uses of Darren's Materials.
- View the YouTube version of the presentation.
- View the TeacherTube version of the presentation.
- Download the high resolution version (1024x768, 100MB) - Pay_Attention_HiRes.mov
- Download the MP4 version (640x480, 29MB, but decent video quality) - Pay_Attention.mp4 (Mirror)
- Download the iPod friendly version - Pay_Attention.m4v
Our Second stop on this educational journey is going to be http://school.discovery.com/schrockguide/edres.html Kathy Schrock's Back to School Resource on the Discovery Website.
This is another fantastic website. To get you hooked and to bookmark this website as a reference for this school year, here is just a small sampling of resources from this webpage:
- First Day Activities...one classroom teacher's ideas for fun and useful activities for the first day of school
- First Day of School Sites...a link to all types of sites to help you get ready for the first day of school
- Icebreakers and Energizers...a nice list of beginning-of-school year activities
- Icebreakers for the First Day of School...teacher-tested ideas for the first week back to school
- 101 Things for the First Three Weeks...common sense and practical tips for setting the stage for a good year
- Student Interest Inventory #1...a fun interest inventory to give to students at the start of the school year to learn more about them
- Tips for Getting Organized...all kinds of ideas for organizing your classsroom, your students, and much more
Our Third stop will look at great educational blogs on the internet. That is in addition to this blog of course. :-)
Some blogs to familiarize yourself with regarding education are as follows:
The above are just a sampling of educational blogs on the internet. They are a great way to stay connect and find out about instructional technology trends and uses in schools around the country and globe.
Our Fourth stop will be the Kings Park Elementary School in Springfield Virginia. Their website is wonderful for the k-3 School http://www.fcps.k12.va.us/KingsParkES/staff/index.htm. This site offers K-3 teacher resources, Lessons and Activities, Interdisciplinary Units and Web Activities and Resources. It is broken down by grade level K-3. This website has taken time and very careful consideration regarding its development. It is a wonderful resourse for the elementary school teacher. Below is a sampling of what you may find at this website:
Well, I hope I have provided you with a wealth of resources for your first week back to school.